Saturday

Build me up, Buttercup


A visit to the dietician this week.  She has a wheelchair scale like a treadmill that allows someone who can’t use a standard scale to get weighed accurately. Different wheelchair since the last appointment, so that got weighed first and then again with Nick sitting in it.
We hadn’t thought that he had lost any weight as his trousers seem to be fitting well and not falling off him, and his belt is at the same notch, but alarmingly, the scale says that Nick has lost 8 kilos since his last weigh-in in June. That’s over a stone.
It’s a lot for anyone to lose in six months, but for someone with Huntington’s it’s very serious indeed. He just can’t afford to lose weight like that; any more and he’ll be in real trouble. It’s one of the key signs of the disease progressing. At risk of infection, pressure sores, respiratory failure and pneumonia. A lot of people with Huntington’s die from pneumonia.  

How has this happened? Two reasons, I think: one, his incessant involuntary movements have got worse, and it must take an awful lot of energy just to sit in a chair. Even with his pureed soft diet, it takes a lot of effort to eat. So for Nick, the most routine activities are fraught with hazard and use up more calories than he’s been taking in.
We’ve already requested a medications review to see if a higher dose can calm his movements a bit, though I don’t hold out a huge amount of hope because short of horse tranquilliser, there isn’t yet any drug that will actually stop the chorea.

Second reason for dramatic weight loss: meal timings. Despite my ongoing calls to the office to complain, shout and plead, the timings continue to be all over the shop.
Breakfast has always been in the care plan at a time specific 9.30 – 10.30am.
I used to get cross when I found that Nick hadn’t had his breakfast until way after 10, but now that seems like a Golden Age.
Over the last month or so, carers have been coming to get Nick washed and dressed and give him breakfast between 11.30 – 12.00. Then he gets lunch about an hour later, when he’s not really hungry yet.
Bear in mind that he is not able to prepare his own meals and relies on a carer sitting with him and feeding him with a spoon.  If this is happening when he doesn’t actually want it, he has no say in the matter.
Meals are supposed to be spaced several hours apart but not too far apart. But having had lunch at 12.30, on the days when I'm not doing his evening meal he may not get dinner until almost 9pm.
I do believe that this is verging on abusive. It’s certainly on the spectrum of neglect that you hear about when more extreme cases come to light in the press. 

When I complain (frequently) I’m told that it’s because there’s been an emergency with the person before Nick, but I’ve stopped buying this; they’re doing house calls, not A&E, and even in this roller-coaster world of adult social care there are only so many actual emergencies. They know I live nearby, and that if there’s a reason they’ll be late to Nick, they are supposed to let me know so that I can step in. But they don’t.

People with HD need routine so that they can make sense of the world; waiting for the carers to come makes Nick very anxious and of course then as well as being hungry, his spasms get worse. He could help himself to a banana but he simply doesn’t have the initiative, and that’s the illness too.
I am so cross and frustrated about it and it didn’t have to take a visit to the dietician to show that it’s not good for Nick’s health, but nothing is changing.

My complaints have now been passed to the contracts department at the council but I’m beginning to think that’s going in the same direction as my complaints to the care company. Nowhere. Even Tommy Cooper is disappointed (aka Cath, our lovely social worker, who up to this point has listened to my woes and then gone “just like that” and magicked some result out of the hat)
We’ve got a meeting next week with her and one of the care agency admin staff – the manager doesn’t even bother to reply to me any more and I wonder how many other people are complaining and if he’s gone into hiding – and my finger is itching to press Send on the howler I’ve drafted to the Care Quality Commission, but I’ll wait until we’ve had this meeting and perhaps this will force a change. Otherwise, we have to find a new provider, and this is the old mulberry bush that we‘ve been round and around before – none of them have the capacity to take Nick on.

So let’s get Christmas over, and think about it all in the new New Year. We have to build Nick up and get some weight back on, which shouldn’t be too difficult in the festive season!
Porridge made with extra milk powder, cream and honey; a mid morning hot chocolate with extra milk powder and a chocolate flake; omelettes and mashed potato with lashings of butter and cheese. He’s not supposed to have crisps or crackers or anything that can catch in the throat but I can make him peanut butter on soft toast dipped in a thick soup. I’m going to be cooking like Nigella this Christmas, by the look of it.

The dietician also suggests that I up his portions so that like an expectant mother he is eating for two.
All of this I can do, but it’s going to take some time to get all the carers on message with this when they have only just understood the absolute basics and can’t even keep to their contracted hours.
And also – Nick is only barely making ends meet as it is and Simon and I have stopped even keeping a tab on how much we’re subbing him, just to get by. And we're not exactly rolling in it. 
He doesn’t have enough income to live on. So how are we going to afford all this extra food? The spectre of the foodbank looms. We can manage, I know we can, but it will take more planning and more time and energy. A lot more planning and energy.
I felt really frightened at first, but my inner Jewish Mother has thoroughly told off my inner whinger and got to work on the Nick-build up programme, and instead of Nigella we’re thinking Jack Monroe as our guiding star.

Meanwhile, Nick has taken his build-up programme very seriously too. He likes a chocolate bar in the evening and I’d bought him four packs of soft chocolates and some cake bars that I thought would last him a week. He scoffed nearly all of them overnight.
I thought the dietician would be pleased with me
I’m not sure if the dentist will, though!